Protecting your accounts is a top priority.
In today’s digital world, it’s essential to be on the lookout for fraudulent activity and to know how to safeguard yourself against it. With Identity theft always prevalent, it’s critical to take steps to guard yourself against identity theft. Here are ways to defend yourself against phishing scams.
Please be aware of an increase in COVID-19 coronavirus scams. Altana will never ask you for personal information, whether by phone, text, email, or web link.
How to Protect Yourself
- Only use personal information on a secure website. Identify a secure site with a “lock” or “https” at the beginning of the website address.
- Create strong passwords for your online logins. A secure password encompasses these pieces:
- Length: Passwords of at least 12 characters make it difficult to guess any sequence.
- Complexity: A combination of numbers, special characters, lowercase, and capital letters is best.
- Variation: Change them frequently.
- Variety: Avoid using the same password across several accounts.
- Security: Avoid sharing your passwords and store them in a secure location (i.e., a locked phone).
Email, Text, and Phone
- Do not open emails or texts if you don’t recognize the sender. Another telltale sign of a scam is the time at which the email arrived. Scam emails tend to come on off-hours (middle of the night or very early before any average business opens).
- Never respond to emails or texts with personal banking or credit card information.
- Do not reply with debit, credit card numbers, or PINs in response to unsolicited email.
- Never use email to send confidential information.
- Update anti-virus software to your system software regularly.
- Perform software updates to your mobile devices to avoid malware, explicitly targeting smartphones, tablets, and other electronics.
Credit Report and Financial Statements
- Review your credit report once a year.
- Check your monthly statements to verify transactions and notify us of any suspicious activity. While logged into your mobile or online banking, hit the eStatements tab to get signed up. You’ll never miss a statement and give mail-box thieves one less chance at getting to your personal information!
- Shred pre-approved credit offers you do not want.
- Report and close lost or stolen checks and credit cards immediately.
Controls for your Altana Debit Card
Card Controls empower you to prevent unauthorized purchases in just a few steps.
Card Controls is available to members with an Online Banking account and an open and active Visa Debit Card.
To access Card Controls:
- Log in to Online Banking and access Card Controls from the “Settings” tab. Find “Cards” where you can block all activity.
For more support on phishing scams and to report activity you suspect as fraudulent, contact us directly at 1(800)221-7555.